Friday, July 20, 2007

Search Engines Promotion Home Business Biz ops

Google slap on squidoo

I haven't really commented about the recent problems with squidoo. If you haven't heard, Google gave squidoo a good sized slap recently, meaning they stopped ranking many of the lenses as high as they were. One reason was because of some spam issues but I believe it probably is deeper than just a few dozen spamers who used some i-frames.

Some squidoo lovers say there isn't anything to worry about and that the site will bounce back. I am not so sure. I suppose if squidoo does get a handle on the spammers it will help, but I wonder if too much damage has already been done to squidoos reputation. Their Alexa ranking have plumented drastically. I feel the next two weeks will be a very important time to see whether squidoo can turn the momentum back around in their favor again.

I personally think they have a nice business model. people say the quality of the lenses overall will eventually hurt the site. I don't know. Look at the overall quality of youtube videos. Most are crap although many are excellent.

Sure, squidoo isn't wikipedia. They don't try to be. But I think there is a place for them. It gives just another opportunity for the average person to get seen and heard which is what has happened so much in the last couple of decades. Think about it: reality tv, blogs, youtube, myspace, etc... Squidoo is just another platform that keeps this trend going.

They definately have some major work ahead of them and although I just recently started making these lenses to see what I could do, I may stop working on them if squidoo continues to fall. I think many feel the same and have already stopped.

Squidoo should be just another tool in your IM toolbox anyways. We'll see if this tool will remain in the toolbox or if it gets taken out and replaced, because there is only so much room ( time ) in the toolbox.

By the way, here's the lens for the day. :-)

Burning Fat

Labels: ,